Jr. NBA Coach of the Year Program
The Timberwolves & Lynx Basketball Academy - Jr. NBA Coach of the Year (COY) program is designed to recognize and celebrate youth basketball coaches in NBA team markets that demonstrate outstanding integrity, character, and leadership – and in doing so have extraordinary impact on young people on and off the court. Minnesota is home to some of the finest youth basketball coaches in the country. Help us honor and recognize them by nominating coach that you have admired or your child’s coach for this prestigious award.
The Timberwolves & Lynx Basketball Academy - Jr. NBA COY winner will receive four (4) lower level tickets and be recognized in the arena during a 2016-17 Timberwolves game, be interviewed on the Timberwolves pregame radio show, will be given an Academy prize pack, a 2016-17 Timberwolves team signed basketball, a commemorative plaque and other exclusive prizes.
They will also be automatically entered into the national selection process. The top 3 national finalists will each be awarded a $2,500 grant to support their local youth basketball organizations. The national Jr. NBA COY winner will be selected from among the 3 finalists and will receive an additional $2,500 grant, as well as an all-expense paid trip to New York to be honored on a national stage at the first-ever NBA Awards Show on June 26, 2017.
The following criteria should be used when submitting a Coach of the Year nominee:
• Coach should exhibit knowledge of the game through his/her understanding of rules, systems of play, and coaching philosophy
• Coach should show respect for officials, opponents, and parent
• Coach should embrace a philosophy of fair play
• Coach should demonstrate commitment to further learning, professional development, mentorship, etc.
• Coach must show concern for the all-around development of the team and provide leadership for students on and off the court
• Coach goes above and beyond call of action to help his/her youth organization
• Coach has contributed to his/her community at large, outside the realm of basketball:
- Participation in service organizations within the community
- Serve as a role model for young athletes he/she has coached
Minnesota Nomination Process
• Nominate your/a coach by completing the Timberwolves & Lynx Basketball Academy - Jr. NBA (COY) nomination form by February 24, 2017. (below)
• Nominated coaches must currently be coaching a competitive boys OR girls team, and be in good standing with their local association/organization/school/league.
• Nominations are open to men and women coaching a boys OR girls youth team grades 1st-8th.
• Nominations submitted by a family member of the coach will not be accepted.
• The Timberwolves & Lynx Basketball Academy - Jr. NBA COY will be selected a committee consisting of Academy staff and Minnesota youth basketball coaches and parents. The 2017 winner will be notified by March 1, 2017.
National Selection Process (March 15- June 26)
• Positive Coaching Alliance and Jr. NBA will conduct a screening process to narrow the pool of local winners to eight (8) national semi-finalists
• Screening process may consist of phone interviews and reference checks
• From round of 8, a Blue Ribbon panel of judges, along with a fan vote via social media, will determine the top 3 finalists and national Jr. NBA COY Winner
• The national Jr. NBA COY winner will be announced with a press release and be recognized at the NBA Awards Show
• Team Youth Basketball contacts will be notified in advance should their local winners advance to the semi-finalist and finalist rounds